HP Pavilion Dv6 Kernel Panic
2 2

Question

Hi!,
I just installed Mavericks on my desktop and then I tried to install it on my notebook.
I tried almost every combination of bootflags, but every time it ends with kernel panic.icon_crazy.gif

kp.thumb.jpg.445d5abefa7a5ca22e1ff1592cc

My specs:
HP Pavilion Dv6-6c20ec

AMD A4-3330MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Radeon HD 6480G]
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler [Radeon HD 6630M/6650M/6750M/7670M/7690M]

I can´t find any solution...Has anyone got a fix for it?beachball.gif

6 answers to this question

I got almost same problem, but i installed it succesfully but can't boot it. Installed it succesfully using
/amd cpus=1 -v, did you try this?

Now i have been trying every combination to get it working, but example using:
npci=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -x -v, i get "Still waiting root device" and
ncpi=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v, without -x, iget one time "Still waiting root device" and after that kernel panic

2015-11-22_14.28.21.thumb.jpg.30e2767b1b

I got almost same pc specs:

Hp pavilion dv9500:
- AMD turion64 x2
- PhoenixBIOS F.34
- Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

I have one harddrive and its parititoned to 2 section, i got windows vista in section 1 and OS X installed in section 2.

I hope we get these laptops working :)

I got almost same problem, but i installed it succesfully but can't boot it. Installed it succesfully using
/amd cpus=1 -v, did you try this?

Now i have been trying every combination to get it working, but example using:
npci=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -x -v, i get "Still waiting root device" and
ncpi=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v, without -x, iget one time "Still waiting root device" and after that kernel panic

I got maverick suddenly working!

I installed maverick again, but this time i modified installation. example, changed cpus=1 so i dont need to write it everytime. I'm not sure what did i change there but after installation i booted mac, and get same "Still waiting root device" error. Then i just put my laptop cover off (PC was still on) and started playing with my main desktop. Took about 2-3hours i was hearing some talking and weird noises at laptop, and opened it and it was at language choosing screen! Finished installation and tadaa, now im using OS X Mavericks at my pavilion dv6500 laptop. :)

You can try this same thing too, if u get same error.

I got maverick suddenly working!

I installed maverick again, but this time i modified installation. example, changed cpus=1 so i dont need to write it everytime. I'm not sure what did i change there but after installation i booted mac, and get same "Still waiting root device" error. Then i just put my laptop cover off (PC was still on) and started playing with my main desktop. Took about 2-3hours i was hearing some talking and weird noises at laptop, and opened it and it was at language choosing screen! Finished installation and tadaa, now im using OS X Mavericks at my pavilion dv6500 laptop. :)

You can try this same thing too, if u get same error.

That´s good news!

But I can´t even install Mavericks...I´ve got this kernel panic after 5-10 seconds when I start installation with boot flags.

I´ve tried almost every boot-flags combination, but almost every time installation ends with this kernel panic :( . If not I´ve got black screen a nothing happens. I tried different bootloader for AMD. But it´s the same. I´m really desperate. 

I´ve tried to install yosemite before. I was able to install it, but graphics was awfull. And there is no graphics kext for my graphic card.

What boot-flags did you use for install?  ncpi=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v just these?

Enjoy your Hackintosh! :)

and sorry 4 my bad eng. :o

I tried different bootloader for AMD.

Hi, what bootloader are you using? I did bootable USB using Niresh 12495 OS X 10.8 USB. It's using Chameleon bootloader.

What boot-flags did you use for install?  ncpi=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v just these?

I used in installation /amd cpus=1 -v boot-flags only. I getted in installation without cpus=1, but then it freezed in language selection.

/amd is important in niresh osx, if u'r using amd processor.

did you also tested safemode "-x" or "-f"?

Enjoy your Hackintosh! :)

Thanks, but now i need to wait everytime 2h until i can use mavericks :D. Always getting that same "Still waiting root device" error. Have to figure out howto get rid of that.

Edited by Hebnekki

Now when i look closly ur kernel panic, it says: "bsd process name corresponding to current thread kernel_task", so i think you have to change kernel, example use some of these:

There are Several Kernels Included
Amd Users Must Boot With
amd -v
amd64 -v
amdfx -v
Atom Users : atom -v
hp laptop users: hp -v
for users with instant reboot (Haswell): xpcm-free -v
ivy bridge: ivy -v
AMD Users Must Only Use Chameleon as Boot-Loader

(find these at http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/75-niresh-mavericks-109-with-amd-intel-usb-iso/, first one worked with me)

I think so, but I used every kernel and nothing changed.

It´s weird that I could install OSX yosemite, but when trying mavericks I get kernel panic :/

I also tried Mountain lion but instalation got stuck after few secs when loading some kexts.