Installed Mavericks, but no audio
1 1

Question

Installed Mavericks, but no audio

I've managed to install Niresh Mavericks from a USB stick onto my Toshiba Satellite L750-18R laptop, which has an Intel Core i5, onboard graphics, Insyde2.0 BIOS, 4Gb RAM, and a 500Gb hard drive. After it booted up and while it was configuring itself, I even managed to install a driver for my Edimax USB WiFi stick and after that I managed to connect to the Internet, view web pages, then downloaded Multibeast, Unibeast, Google Chrome and a few other files. I had a good look round the installed OS to see what wasn't working and I found out that there was no audio, even after I installed Flash player.

Since doing all of the above, I've tried to install some Universal Voodoo audio drivers using Multibeast, but all that happens is the progress bar goes up to a certain point, then gets stuck and never reaches the end. I have tried different Voodoo drivers, but the same thing always happens. When I tried to install any Realtek drivers I got error messages saying a certain file was missing. Eventually, a window comes up with a message telling me that my computer has run out of applications memory, shows me which aplications are running and gives me the chance to Force Quit on any of them, also showing if any have paused and giving me the choice to Resume them. I've tried Force Quit on all applications except Multibeast, told Multibeast to resume, but it never gets anywhere near finishing the installation. On my first attempt, I was trying to install a few options, but on later atttempts I deselected all options except the audio driver and it has never completed installation.

What should I do next?

1 answer to this question

I thought I should tell people how I've solved the audio problem. I used Multibeast, then selected Easybeast/Drivers/Audio and eventually found out that the seventh driver under the Universal list is the one that works properly on my laptop, although it's not perfect because there's still some distortion of higher frequencies. I found I could only install this by using Safe Boot and it took less than four minutes each time I installed a different audio driver. After installing this, I had to select Apple/System Preferences/Sound Effects/Play Sound Effects Through. I then have to select Speaker or Haadphones to get it to work. Thanks to Cat and Andrew on YouTube for this advice. When I plug in EarPods, this doesn't cut the sound to the speakers and no sound comes through them unless I select Headphones. I don't think this is how a real Mac works.