How to Fix Mavericks not booting after the 10.9.2 Update - Page 4 - Hackintosh Mavericks - Hackintosh Zone Jump to content
Devonic

How to Fix Mavericks not booting after the 10.9.2 Update

Question

DISCLAIMER : The 10.9.2 update has broken a lot of installations of Niresh's Mavericks distro due to a new version of Darwin. The steps described below are a generic solution as discussed on various parts of the forums. This is just a re-organized and structured version of the fix. This may not necessarily work for all OSX installs. So instead of only using the kexts packaged by Niresh, please backup any custom kernels or even better your entire extensions folder.

Stuff you need :

1) A 1 GB USB (any size actually)
2) The Niresh Mavericks Installer USB
3) An already working mavericks install (optional)

If you are stuck with a non-booting Installation of OSX Mavericks :
1) Head over to Windows and download Transmac.
2) Download the PCI Config Kexts from here.
3) Plug in your 1 GB USB and format it to Mac OSX Extended Journaled by right clicking and selecting "Format Disk for Mac"
4) Make a folder named Extensions in the root directory of the USB in Transmac (+HFS Volumes > Right click on White Space > Make New Folder)
5) Copy the kexts (not the folder, the kexts ! ) you downloaded into the Extensions folder.
6) Rename your 1 GB USB to FIX. (If you can't do this using Transmac, format the USB using the Niresh Installer and rename to
FIX. Then proceed with Transmac steps (without       formatting of course)
You're done for the windows part !

Now boot into the Niresh Mavericks Installer

1) Plug in your 1 GB USB after the Welcome Screen has appeared
2) Go to disk utility and mount your FIX usb (Right Click the USB > Mount)
3) Open Terminal and type the following :

ditto -V /Volumes/FIX/Extensions/*there is a single space here*/Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/

2) Exit out of Terminal and Reboot
3) Your Hackintosh should finally boot into OSX 10.9.2  :)

If you have a Working Mavericks Installation before hand:

1) Just copy the PCI Fix kexts into a USB Formatted using Disk Utility into Mac OSX Extended Journaled and repeat the same steps from step number 6.

2) Additionally backup the Extensions folder and your Kernels to the USB with a different directory name.

Cheers  :D

Edited by Devonic
addtional steps.
  • Like 3

46 answers to this question

Hi there

I successfully update OS X 10.9.0 to 10.9.2 (Niresh Distro)

PC Config Specifications
CPU: Intel Core i3 3,41 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Ram: 4GB Kingston 1333 MHz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
Hard Disk: Seagate 2TB

Click on the link to see the proof

http://s2.postimg.org/l5lye3mmx/Schermata_2014_04_09_alle_14_08_58.png

Step by Step Guide:

1) Remove any trace of GPUSensors.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions
2) Backup NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and remove it from /System/Library/Extensions
3) Download the patched mach_kernel for 10.9.2

4) Backup your graphics kexts by using the terminal because the combo update replace the patched kext with the native one:

a.       Create 'backup' folder

mkdir /Volumes/ NameOfOSXDisk /backup

e.g.: mkdir /Volumes/MAVS/backup

b.      Select "Extensions" folder directory

cd /Volumes/MAVS/System/Library/Extensions

c.         Transfer kexts to 'backup' folder

cp AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* "/Volumes/MAVS/backup"

e.        Verify all kexts transferred:

cd /Volumes/MAVS/backup

ls

5) Copy the patched mach kernel, the graphics kext backup folder (which you find it in your OS X partition) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in a usb stick

6) Download OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update (Combo) and install it

Now there are two way to continue the upgrading process, you can use Windows or the terminal of the Niresh distro usb installation

7.1) If you have a Windows partition in your pc:

a) First download Paragon for Windows, install it and reboot your pc

B) Now you should see the OS X partition in My Computer

c) Plug the usb stick where you have the copied files

d) Now replace the mach_kernel in the Mac partition, then copy/replace NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and graphics kext in OS X Drive/System/Library/Extensions

e) Now reboot to your OS X partition and Mavericks should be working

7.2) If you want use the terminal:

a) Boot to the usb installer

B) After the boot completed open the terminal plug and the usb where you copied the previous files

c) Then follow the instructions:

a.       Verify secondary USB stick location:

diskutil list

b.      Mount it:

diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

e.g.: diskutil mount /dev/disk2s1

Terminal will confirm the name of the disk mounted

c.       Select directory of USB stick's root:

cd /Volumes/USBStick/

e.g.: cd /Volumes/CRUZER/

d.      Copy over patched mach_kernel [and NullCPUPowerManagement]

cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/NameOfOSXDisk/mach_kernel"

e.g.: cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/MAVS/mach_kernel"

cp -R /Volumes/CRUZER/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext "/Volumes/MAVS/System/Library/Extensions"

e.      Copy the graphics kext

cd /Volumes/USBStick/backup

cp -R AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* "/Volumes/MAVS/System/Library/Extensions"

f.   Quit terminal and reboot to your OS X Partition

8) Now you should have Mavericks fully updated to 10.9.2. If you have some graphical issue or Audio issue or something else, use Multibeast or search on google the suitable kext for your requirements.

• Like 2

I hope I am allowed to post links to external sites here, because everyone struggling with getting 10.9.2 to boot properly with and AMD CPU needs to try this one out!

www.osx86.net/file/3736-amd-10910911092-kernel-update-iii-with-full-sse4-support/

The instructions say to copy System.kext, AppleMatch.kext & Sandbox.kext from 10.9.0 to System/Library/Extensions on your 10.9.2 drive and then repair permissions and restart your System

This file also has a support.kext file included, but I did not use this one. I used the one from my 10.9.0 drive which worked fine.

I used kext wizard to install the kexts, backup the 10.9.2 kexts and then after I backed up the current mach_kernel and copied over this modded kernel, repaired permissions and rebuilt the cache.

After all of that, I rebooted the clone and waited with my breath held like I was updating the BIOS on a motherboard! (If you've ever had a motherboard BIOS update go sideways, you will understand!)

I am happy to say that I am writing this reply in 10.9.2 on my AMD FX-6200 based PC!

I hope this will help everyone else out there that are struggling with this update!

AMD FX-8350 8-core

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MB

20 GB Ram

MSI N560GTX-Ti GPU 1GB

1 TB WDC HDD SATA2 (Mavericks 10.9.2)

2TB Seagate HDD SATA2 (Windows 8.1 Pro)

Logitech Unified Keyboard/Mouse

I did exactly this, but I get severe performance issues From 10.9.2 that I did not have in 10.9.0. Every time I move the mouse it lags severely and clicks are delayed. Can barely use it. Upgraded Video Drivers from Nvidia Web Drivers and no difference. Also a thing from 10.9.0 Safari is unreadable because there are lines through everything. Looks like a printer running out of ink. No worries on that though, I use Firefox anyways. Much clearer. But it is "Working".

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me out with my laptop configuration, I am very new with macs and hackintosh but I successfully installed the niresh version of mavericks 10.9.0 but with some issues my laptop configurations is:

Acer V5 571PG-9814

Intel I7 2.49mhz

Graphics: Intel HD4000 and Nvidia 710M 1GB

Bluetooth atheros

Wifi Atheros

Ethernet Realtek

Synapthics touch pad

after installations completes I have this result:

Graphics: intel hd4000 64mb shared full resolution but with flickers when open safari, cannot see videos because shows black video just sound

Bluetooth button shadow cannot turn off or on and just works if the pc is not turn off for so long after that recognized but doing nothing

Wifi not detected

Ethernet ok

touchpad ok installed synaptics kext, my screen is touchscreen with elantouch windows driver but not working for me in mac

SD Card Reader not recognized

I just learned a little bit about kext nothing about dsdt, i used every single kext for NVidia but nothing works or maybe i am doing something wrong, as the same for the Bluetooth and the sd card reader

how can i release the potential of all my components on my laptop. i use chameleon 2.2 for booting

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am using the steps: Non-booting OS X.

Is there a similar way I can perform these beginning steps without having to use Windows? I would rather not waste my time dual booting my Macbook Pro with Windows.

I was about to attempt the update, but after reading these posts, I believe I am going to wait for Niresh to release a 10.9.2 patch/installer or something. My installation works perfectly right now, I don't wanna mess it up.

I was about to attempt the update, but after reading these posts, I believe I am going to wait for Niresh to release a 10.9.2 patch/installer or something. My installation works perfectly right now, I don't wanna mess it up.

My system works so well with niresh 10.9.0 and I'm not too sure to update after reading this problem.

However, any chance to see a new Niresh distribution with 10.9.2 ?

@mtx4 Very slim chance of seeing a Niresh Distro just for 10.9.2 especially with 10.9.3 around the corner

hi everyone i have 10.9 running on virtual box for testing before i do it on my pc when i tried to do a straight update from 10.9.0 to 10.9.3 the virtial box crashes i have the latest veriosn of it my pc specs is amd phenon 2 r7 240 amd radeon gphic card on a windows 7 ult would this fix up guid work on it also