Hey All,

My config:

Alienware 17

i7 4800qm

780m GTX

16 GB Ram

BCM43xx Wifi

Killer e2200 Network Card

Worked with a friend of mine and got my Alienware up and running with Niresh 10.9 almost perfectly so I thought I would share the tut we have:

1.  Obviously get Niresh 10.9 dmg and use your favorite method to get it on USB

2.  In the Bios, Legacy boot must be enabled

3.  Boot from the USB drive

4.  At boot type "xpcm-free -v" without quotes and press Enter

5.  Click on the HDD you are going to install OSX on and click Customize (you may have to format the hdd with disk utilities first.  I would recommend making 2 partitions, 1 main and one you can make a backup on)

6.  Uncheck "Install Network Drivers (kexts)"

7.  Click arrow "Graphics" > uncheck GraphicsEnabler=Yes and check Backup Graphics Kexts

8.  Click arrow "FakeSMC and Plugins" > Arros "FakeSMC Plugins" Check CPU, LPC and GPU Sensors

9.  Click Arros "Laptop Drivers"  Check "Enable Battery Percentage"

10.  Clike OK then Install. 

11.  While it's installing, download these files and put them on a usb:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/as78776qgb504a2/AlienwareOSX.zip

12. Go through the process, when it reboots don't boot from USB and then go through the setup, create profile, etc.

13.  Once into OSX, it is still not done, Let the Niresh installer do it's thing and repair the permissions (may take a little while)

14.  After it is all done, reboot

15.  When you get back into OSX, copy all of the texts from the file you downloaded onto the desktop and then run kextbeast to install them

16.  Reboot

17.  Install the Webdriver File (this is the Nvidia OSX drivers) and reboot

18.  This time, on boot, you MUST have your laptop plugged into an external display via hdmi otherwise you will just get a black screen.  Once you are back into OSX, you can unplug from the external monitor and just use your laptop display.

That is it, you now have an (almost) fully functional hackintosh with working wifi, ethernet and sound via speakers.

2 bugs that I have never worked out is that I cannot get Audio over hdmi and that on boot you need to be plugged into an external monitor or you will just get a black screen on your laptop monitor.

I cannot take much credit for this other than sharing.  My buddy had a youtube vid showcasing this and it has been taken down and I haven't talked to him for months so I don't want to mention him by name but he deserves the biggest majority of the credit.

I can't remember where I got the BCM kext or I would link to it.  If it is yours, or you know who created it, please let me know and I'll credit it here.

The Killer E2200 kext, I got from gamester3333 over on TonyMac--thank you sir!

If anyone has any input on the 2 remaining bugs I have, I would greatly appreciate your assistance!

If this is in the wrong section mods, please move it!

1 person likes this

26 answers to this question

About the hdmi Audio there is a box somewhere in the chameleon wizard that you have to check

About the hdmi Audio there is a box somewhere in the chameleon wizard that you have to check

Nope doesn't work, tried that already...... :(  It is a real shame because it's really the only thing that is stopping me from using OSX full time.....

Just wanted to thank you for the guide - was able to get me AW17 up and running at 10.9 following your guide. Mine is a 4900mq/16GB/780m config with the 120hz screen.

I was wondering if you updated to 10.9.4 on your hack or did you leave it at 10.9.0. Im wondering because I planned to use FCPX on here and it seems that i might HAVE to run 10.9.4 to be able to run the most current version of the software. I tried to update via Software update and have been unable to get back into the system no matter what combination of boot flags I tried. Should I just say screw it, nuke the installation and start fresh - simply leaving it at 10.9.0? Or were you able to get to 10.9.4 without an issue?

Thank you so much for this! You are awesome! Hopefully we can figure out the HDMI output issue. I do not want to have to connect to an external monitor every time.

Hey all, thank you for all the thanks and while I do deserver some of it, I really did nothing much.  I'm no dev, used a lot of google and had a lot of help from my buddy.

As for the hdmi, it doesn't bother me to plug into an external monitor on boot.  What really bugs me is the no Audio over the hdmi.

Sorry for the lack of responses in the thread, started a new job and have very little time.  To be honest, this is a hobby at best.  I'll install OSX and play around with it every couple of months or so.  As far as updating, I really have no clue.  I would rather have everything working perfectly on 10.9 before worrying about 10.9.4.

I will add that I have the 120Hz screen as well (while it's nice to have the extra umpphhh in the screen, Dell really screwed us in the implementation.  No graphics switching and it's a pain in the arse for the most basic things).

So it installs, but freezes with a kernel panic on setup. It pretty much tells me that no HPETs are available and that the CPUs are configured incorrectly. My BIOS looks like yours and I did everything the way you had it stated. Here's my screen KjCxml.jpg

Ok so I got the Hackintosh working, but my GPU fan is going haywire. It's really loud and starts on startup. This was before I loaded the KEXTs. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Seems to not allow me to update. I updated to 10.9.5. That did not boot and I was told to switch the kernel with the old one. That didn't work. Then I was told to replace the System/Library/Extensions with the old ones after the update. That did not work. I'm told it should update flawlessly without any of that stuff because   it is an intel, but it doesn't seem to be the case with me. It is freezing after the GeForceSensors (pci1): started, even after deleting geforce kexts.

The fan was the one thing that I couldn't stomach when running OSX, there was zero control of the gnu fan, and no way to turn it down. I reinstalled 10.9.0 to keep it stable, but until we can figure out the fan issue I'll probably stick to hackintoshing my desktop, which has been INFINITELY easier.

I'm not giving up on my hack AW17 though, its like a the top-end 27" iMac got shoehorned into a laptop with a badass lighting scheme and then got upgraded to a 120hz screen. I was using it in class the other day and made someones head explode, lol.

Not to take away from Niresh or this article, but the fan bothered me as well. I just couldn't do it. Also I am a ruby programmer and needed to be able to update XCode for certain applications, but it wouldn't update properly unless I had 10.9.3 at least. I was able to get everything working extremely well on my Alienware using a different method.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301265-alienware-17-r5mid-2013-install-1095/

It is 10.9.5 and I believe it should be easy to update.

Everything works well, including bluetooth, HDMI Audio, and not starting on invisible HDMI.

The only problems I have is the headphone jack wasn't working well for me, though I only tested it once, and certain Apple Applications that use Quicktime video were not working correctly. I have Quicktime workarounds though. Parallels works very well with it as well.

CDT Mitchell