psrkallez06

System preferences "Loading" HELP!

Question

System preferences "Loading" HELP!

So i just installed mavericks on my laptop, everything works fine (except wifi of course because my card is not compatible)

But i have a problem, when i enter system perferences, and click on Users & Groups, or Network, or ANY other tab except for general. It just says "Loading" but the setting never pops up, only way to close it is to force close the system preferences.. I have tried to repair the disc premissions but that didn't work, still the same problem, can anyone help me? Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Try to make a new user account and log in there. See if the system preferences panes load. If so, go back to your other account, go to ~/Users/[your username]/Library/Preferences/and move com.apple.systemprefs.plist to your desktop. Reboot your system. A new systemprefs.plist will be created then. See if that fixes your problem. 

4 hours ago, Rico Cremer said:

Try to make a new user account and log in there. See if the system preferences panes load. If so, go back to your other account, go to ~/Users/[your username]/Library/Preferences/and move com.apple.systemprefs.plist to your desktop. Reboot your system. A new systemprefs.plist will be created then. See if that fixes your problem. 

Thanks for your answer, I already tried that, same problem occurs on a new account, also. If i login to any other account than root, i get a lot of questions marks on apps. Because everytime i start the Hackintosh it says mac osx want to make some changes so i have to login as root to allow it..

14 minutes ago, psrkallez06 said:

Thanks for your answer, I already tried that, same problem occurs on a new account, also. If i login to any other account than root, i get a lot of questions marks on apps. Because everytime i start the Hackintosh it says mac osx want to make some changes so i have to login as root to allow it..

Boot into single user mode (bootflag -s), from there type "fsck -fy". 
Reboot.

It's not clear to me as of why "Mac osx wants to make some changes". I know that Niresh has some post-installation tool built in, but you don't need to be root for that. 

3 hours ago, Rico Cremer said:

Boot into single user mode (bootflag -s), from there type "fsck -fy". 
Reboot.

It's not clear to me as of why "Mac osx wants to make some changes". I know that Niresh has some post-installation tool built in, but you don't need to be root for that. 

Thanks i will try that now.

Update: Just did it, it ended with "the volume appears to be ok" But i still have the same problem. Can't open stuff in the preferences, like network/users and groups etc. It just get suck on "loading" :(

And yes it's pretty weird that it happens everytime i reboot.. This is what is looks like: 

https://i.gyazo.com/1cf4949566aa51c6d2768e2f933599bc.png

So i don't really get to a "normal" login screen.

16 hours ago, psrkallez06 said:

Thanks i will try that now.

Update: Just did it, it ended with "the volume appears to be ok" But i still have the same problem. Can't open stuff in the preferences, like network/users and groups etc. It just get suck on "loading" :(

And yes it's pretty weird that it happens everytime i reboot.. This is what is looks like: 

https://i.gyazo.com/1cf4949566aa51c6d2768e2f933599bc.png

So i don't really get to a "normal" login screen.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain acces -> Preferences -> Reset default keychain. Reboot. That should fix the login prompt, hopefully. 

Also, open terminal and run sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
Just to be sure...

2 hours ago, Rico Cremer said:

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain acces -> Preferences -> Reset default keychain. Reboot. That should fix the login prompt, hopefully. 

Also, open terminal and run sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
Just to be sure...

Once again thank you for helping! 

When i click on reset default keychain i just get "The Specified Keychain Could Not be Found"

I also don't know the password for unlocking "local keychain".. no password that i have set seems to work.

Your installation does not like you that much, lol.

Well, we'll keep trying.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.keychainaccess.plist
Go back to ~/Library/ and remove the Keychain folder (or move it to your desktop)
Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. Select your harddisk, click 'first aid' and choose 'repair permissions'. When it's done, click verify disk. It may ask you to repair the disk. Do it.
Reboot.

29 minutes ago, Rico Cremer said:

Your installation does not like you that much, lol.

Well, we'll keep trying.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.keychainaccess.plist
Go back to ~/Library/ and remove the Keychain folder (or move it to your desktop)
Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. Select your harddisk, click 'first aid' and choose 'repair permissions'. When it's done, click verify disk. It may ask you to repair the disk. Do it.
Reboot.

I know haha, Everytime i install it get's stuck on "setting up your mac" so i have to hard reboot the laptop.. maybe that is why i get all these problems? haha

I don't have any file called com.apple.keychainaccess.plist even tho i have hidden files shown, i did verify disk and it said that the volume is OK.. Damn this lol

I don't have a clue anymore. I think it's indeed because you hard reboot your laptop. On the other hand, there is a reason for why your setup hangs at "setting up your Mac".
I think it's best if you reinstall again and use -v -x at your first boot. What are your system specifications?

On 2017-02-22 at 8:45 PM, Rico Cremer said:

I don't have a clue anymore. I think it's indeed because you hard reboot your laptop. On the other hand, there is a reason for why your setup hangs at "setting up your Mac".
I think it's best if you reinstall again and use -v -x at your first boot. What are your system specifications?

Thank you i will try that, i only used "-v" during the installation so that i could see what was going on. Also when i say that it "freezes" during setting up your mac, i mean that i don't get past that screen, but i can still move my mouse, so i don't think it's a kernel panic or similar... SPECS:

Laptop: HP Probook 4510s

CPU:  Intel Celeron Dual-Core Processor T1600 1.66 GHz

Chipset:  Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset , 667 MHz front side bus (models with integrated graphics)

GPU:  Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (Integrated)

RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz

Gonna try and restall. Will report back!

Update: Just reinstalled with -v -x + used it on the first boot. Still stuck at setting up your mac (i can move my mouse). It's been stuck there for 30 minutes now.. :(