potatohead303

Half way into booting then black screen

Question

Half way into booting then black screen

Hello, I am having a problem when I try to boot into Yosemite after the installation. After the installation it restarts then I unplug my usb boot drive then it loads into the Yosemite Zone Menu. I see two apple logos and under the first one is the name of the hard drive where I installed Yosemite. The other apple logo says Recovery HD. I select my hard drive then halfway into loading it turns into a black screen. Oh yeah and when I was installing Yosemite I clicked customize and installed the npci=0x3000 kext. I also installed Yosemite without the kext and just left as is but it still did the same thing. When I boot into the installer I need to type /amd1 npci=0x3000 in order to load into the installation. I'm guessing it's a graphics card problem, I checked my graphics card compatibility and it is supported, since 10.8. it's the Sapphire Radeon 7950. Thank you for any replies! :D 

9 answers to this question

There is no such thing as "npci=0x3000" kext. The option in the customization menu actually just adds 'npci=0x3000" to your bootflags. Make sure you are booting with GraphicsEnabler=No. Even though your graphics card might be supported, it can give you the wrong framebuffer.  The framebuffer contains information about the ports and its signals, but in most cases these are wrongly set and causes your monitor to lose signal. Also, boot with bootflag -v to see if any error comes up.

You could also try to boot into safe mode. IF it is graphics card related, you will be able to boot using bootflag -x. Graphics kexts are not loaded within safe mode. 

1 person likes this

So I tried booting with -v and -x and also GraphicsEnabler=No and it still gets the black screen. So I guess it's not the graphics card related. I wonder what it can be, and sorry for the late reply. @Rico Cremer

What exactly do you mean by "black screen"? Your monitor turns off because it gets no signal? 

Well it's half way into booting then the screen turns black like if the monitor was off but it doesn't say it doesn't have a signal, then in a few seconds the backlight turns off but it's still a black screen then the back lights turn on but it's still a black screen then the process repeats. I slso left it on for a long time to see if it will fix but it turned off after a certain amount of time. @Rico Cremer

Strange. You could try two things:

1. Boot, wait until your screen turns black and let it be for some time, just to make sure that Yosemite is fully booted. Then, turn your computer into sleep and wake it up again to see if your monitor turns on. 

2. Do you have integrated graphics as well? If so, set them as primary within your bios.
Try to boot then. The downside of this is that you won't be able to see anything until Yosemite has completely booted.

Both suggestions come out of a time of Mountain Lion, but you could always try.

How is your monitor connected (VGA/HDMI/DVI/DP etc)? 

I will try to do this tomorrow thank you! But I can't do the first one because I can't put my computer to sleep, it just turns off when I press the power button, the only way I put it to sleep is through windows I select sleep but I will try the second one, and my monitor is connected through DVI

There might be an option in your BIOS to change the power button's behavior